Cyclades, Paros

Paros

The Cosmopolitan Island of Paros is located in the central group of the Cyclades Islands and is very well known for its traditional hospitality and impecable services. It is the third largest island of the Cyclades with an almost oval shape and a mountain in the center. Around the mountain one can find a beautiful valley leading to the beaches. Paros is not very green.

Residents are growing barley , wheat and vines and are engaged in farming and tourism. The island has beautiful Cycladic architecture , windmills , a large Byzantine church, a monastery and many other scenic spots . Paros produces the world's best white marble from which were made the statues of Aphrodite and Hermes of Praxiteles.

History of Paros

The island of Paros took it’s name from the leader of the Arcadian tribe, who conquered Paros during the 10th century BC.

The civilization developed in Paros, dates back to the Protocycladic period. It has been inhabited since the prehistoric period, however the most glorious era in the history of the Island was during the 8th century BC when Paros emerged as a great naval power.

During ancient times, Paros was famous for it’s excellent quality marble that became a very popular material for architects and scullptors throughout the cities of the ancient world. During the Persian Wars, Paros allied with Persians, which would later cause retaliation with the Athenians. In 338 BC the island came under the control of the Macedonian state and later the Ptolemies and the Romans. In 1207 it was conquered by the Venetians and by the Turks in 1537. In 1770 the Russians occupied the island and held it for seven years, howerver, the Turks re-conquered it and their domination lasted until the union of the island with Greece in 1830.

Check Availability

Message